Seventh Son, Movie Review

I had high hopes for this movie and was really excited to watch it. But I've got to admit that this movie did not live up to my expectations. I do not rate a movie poorly easy but this movie... I've got to say is not a good one. I know the hard work the movie casts and directors have put in for this movie and I've got to acknowledge that.. but the story I feel is poorly developed. Maybe because of the time constrain? Having to fit all the story into about 1.5 - 2 hours for the movie sake? I have not read the book prior to watching this movie and hence could not comment on whether the book or the movie is better. But from what I've seen, it seems that this movie is trying to ride on the last Hobbit wave as the story appears to strangely similar to that of a Hobbit movie. Even Master Gregory resembles Gandalf! He talks like him and walk around with a staff. The movie set is also quite similar but that might be because of its fantasy setting. But I would like to say that the storyline is rather predictable and hence is unable to hold my attention. I felt bored in the middle and only perked up when it comes to all the fighting scenes. And is it just me or does everyone too feel that Mother Malkin, the witch queen, died too easily in the end when she showed her vulnerable side. Maybe she wasn't that bad after all.

I'm really not used to rating a movie poorly and I am sorry for doing so above. I just like to say that I acknowledge all the hard work the movie cast and crew had put into this movie and yeah.. try again next time and make a better movie.

P.S. should I read the book instead?

Anyways, for those who have not seen the movie, here's the movie trailer from YouTube:


Comments

Popular Posts