Safari Zoo Run 2015

Safari Zoo Run 2015 was an event conducted on 7-8th Feb, in commemoration of Ah Meng the orangutan. He was a famous and familiar figure in the Singapore Zoo and hence they started this race in memory of the our most beloved friend after his death.

I signed up for this run with my friend and we went for the 8th Feb 6km fun run. I wasn't prepared for any competitive runs yet and hence the fun run, since there pressure of trying to keep up with the 'pack' will not be so great.


The first wave started at 10am, followed by a second wave at 10.10am. But here we are at I think 10.30am. Still so far away from the starting line! The emcee said we were the 4th wave and we had to wait because there was a human congestion problem with too many people stopping for selfies. We can understand that, since we were also waiting and taking selfies (even before entering the zoo!)

Finally the horn started and off we went! Our first stop is the Night Safari! Entering the Night Safari in the day I believe is a first time for many people. As for me, who hasn't even enter Night Safari in the night, it was even more amazing. Everything was new to me. Taking in all the sights and smells of animal poo as I continued along the trail. There was not much running though. Everyone was like having a lazy morning stroll with the nice weather. :)

We did jog a bit eventually. But we stopped every time we see an animal to snap a picture. There's not much to see in the day when we were at Night Safari though, probably since the animals are supposed to be more active at night. (you don't say!)

But still, it was cool since it's my first visit there. After about 3km, which is the halfway mark, we entered the Singapore Zoo (through the back gate I think). And yeah, you've probably guessed it by now. We stopped a lot. There were so many animals to see! And stopping for that few minutes to snap a picture simply was not enough. And I saw my favourite animal, the fox. So beautiful and elegant. I didn't want to leave the cage.

Surprisingly, we actually did more running in the Zoo. Most probably cause some of the animals in the Zoo could also be found in the Night Safari and so we ran on without stopping. (Running and taking in the greenery makes me feel refreshed and new. A totally different sensation as compared to running on the treadmill.)





I do have more pictures to share but that will take up lots of space so here, I think I'll just add a giraffe picture. I couldn't find my red fox picture :( I guessed I deleted it because of the low quality.

Anyways, we completed the run at about 11.30am and received our finisher medal. It has 3 animals on it.

Collecting our bags from the baggage claim, we proceeded to River Safari. This was actually what I was most looking forward to. Entering River Safari for free was a runner's entitlement and I would really like to thank the organizer for that. I finally get to go to River Safari! (because so many friends refuse to go with me saying it's boring)

Oh come on! It was not that bad! I enjoyed it to be honest. The designs of the tanks for the sea animals were really cool. Some of the places were also air conditioned. Perfect for a hot weather like Singapore.
 We also entered a monkey 'cage'. Basically, it's a trail where you walk along looking at monkeys. There will not be any physical barriers separating you and the animals so you can see them walk alongside with you on the handrails. Some even hang on the vines overhead. It can be quite scary if they got to close but it's great that they are friendly to humans. They didn't attack me. :)

We also went for a boat ride in River Safari. We chose the one that says "River Quest" (if I'm not wrong). According to my friend, because this ride has a height limit (the other one doesn't and it says something like 'experience the tranquility'), it will most likely be more fun and exciting as compared to the cruise. So I took his advice and we paid for the boat ride at $5/adult. Pricing for the boat ride was not included as a runner's entitlement though.

The ride was awesome. Mainly because we sat in the front row and we got a bit wet as the boat descended and the water splashed. (Ok, this is the most fun I had during the trip to River Safari) But sadly there was only one splash though..

The boat then cruised along, bringing us to meet several different animals. However I felt that the boat was moving a little too fast as there were quite a number of times where I didn't manage to find the animal and we have moved on. This actually happened quite frequently when we were in River Safari. Having to stare at an aquarium for super long trying to find the animal. My friend commented that there's too many ornaments in the water. It's providing too much coverage for the animals.
 After the boat ride, we continued exploring and entered a dome. It was fully air conditioned as it tries to provide a nice and cool environment for the animals there (the animals in the dome are not used to our tropical climate here in Singapore)

I forgot the name of the animal on the left but it looks really cute.


The one on the right is Kai Kai, a panda which Singapore adopted. Jia Jia was in a separate cage. From what I read, they eat up to 20kg of bamboo a day! And their waste weighs about 20kg too. So I guess it sort of balance out?



























Exiting the dome, we were greeted by a panda themed restaurant that was famous for it's panda bao at MaMa Panda Kitchen. We didn't stop for a bao though. There was simply too many people in the restaurant. But I heard that not only is the bao cute looking, it actually tests quite nice too! So maybe I shall try it next time. Wait for me panda bao!
Cr: fattylovelove.com
And so this concludes the end of my day at River Safari. I just like to say that this run is really amazing and I'll probably join it again next year. Hopefully as a competitive runner this time! Much thanks and love to Singapore Zoological Gardens for organizing such an amazing event. Rock on!

If you would like to visit any of the places mentioned above, you may refer to the Singapore Zoo website at http://www.zoo.com.sg/index.html
I hope you will enjoy yourself as much as I do! Cheers :)

Comments

Popular Posts