The Mortal Instruments



The Mortal Instruments series. A total of 6 books and I couldn't help buying all of them. I bought my first book after watching the movie. I fell in love with the characters after the movie and that's why I bought the movie tie-in version. The rest of the series were bought later (mostly during sales). These books altogether can really cost quite a lot for me.

So recently I just finished my last book - City of Heavenly Fire, and this got me feeling a little sad. Honestly, when I was at around the second half of the book, I felt a little dilemma. I wanted to finish the story because I wanted to find out what happened to the characters but at the same time, I didn't want it to end. I love these characters and after I finished this series, I felt that I've lost so many friends. I'm grieving now.

*below contains spoiler to the series.

In the final installment of this series, the ultimate bad guy is Sebastian/Jonathan Morgenstern, also Clary's own brother. But the strange thing is, despite all the bad things he had done, I don't hate him. I actually pity this guy for he is the victim of his own father's deed. Throughout the books (City of Lost Souls and City of Heavenly Fire), all I felt that he wanted was just the love and acceptance of his family because he has never experienced them when he was young. He didn't know how to earn them and hence he was doing all kinds of wrong things to get their attention. He thought that if he possessed his sister physically, he would have her love but he was wrong and he didn't understand that.

In the end, he was killed by Clary who plunged a sword containing heavenly fire into his chest. The heavenly fire burned away all the bad in him and because there was only a little goodness left, he couldn't survive. And during the last few minutes while he lay dying, Clary and her mother caught a glimpse of the brother and son that they should have. He's nice and even apologised to them about all the things that he had made them endure, which I think is the saddest part of this whole series :_( He didn't even experience love and now he's dying! Urrghh, I hate this!

But anyways, all ended well and everyone got back together. Jace with Clary (They've never actually seperated), Magnus and Alec, Isabelle and Simon (although Simon needed a little push because of his memory lost).

But before I start feeling all sad about the ending of this series (I haven't actually got over how pitiful Jonathan is), I realise that Cassandra Clare is going to release another series - Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, whereby it tells us how Simon trains to become a Shadowhunter after he turned back into a mundane. And this means, I get to continue reading about all my favourite characters! YAY!

I haven't bought the books though. I need to save up now~

So in the mean time, I'm going to read the Shadowhunter Codex ad familiar myself with the ways of a shadowhunter. They live in a really cool fantasy world and I often imagine what it would be like to train like a shadowhunter. I guess it would be tough but definitely rewarding! What with all the extra trained agility and flexibility. That would be so cool! training like them.


There are a couple of times when I was thinking who my favourite character is and what I realised is that I love all of them. Jace for his witty remarks, Clary and Isabelle because of their bravery, Alec and Magnus because I think they're cute together (HAHA) and Simon because he's so sweet and loving. So, in the end, I gave up on trying to figure out who I liked most and just settled with thinking TMI is the best series I have ever read.

I really hope that they would make a second movie with the same cast (ok, so I love the characters and the casts. I even imagine them playing out the story when I read the books) but sadly they are not gonna do it. The TMI series are instead going to be made into a TV series with a whole new different cast and I think I'll need some time to get used to looking at different faces for the characters I already knew. But nonetheless, I felt that I should be giving the new casts a chance and hope that they can really portray our beloved characters well!

So here's some information about the series:
- The show will start filming on 25 May in Toronto.
- It will be an ABC Family series.
- The reason they decided to make it into a TV series is because they felt that much of the information from the books have been left out during the movie.

The cast is as follows:
Katherine McNamara as Clary Fray
Dominic Sherwood as Jace Wayland
Alberto Rosende as Simon Lewis
Emeraude Toubia as Isabelle Lightwood
Matthew Daddario as Alec Lightwood
Harry Shum Jr. as Magnus Bane
Isaiah Mustafa as Luke Garroway
19964
Alan Van Sprang as Valentine Morgenstern
Maxim Roy as Jocelyn Fray

So let's hope the TV series is as awesome as the movie! 
Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts