My Yoga Journey

I am writing this to document my yoga journey for the past 1 year.

I've always heard about yoga and have wanted to try it. I remember pouring through several yoga videos online and trying out several different types on yoga before settling down to realize I love my yoga session to have a slow and gentle flow. In these sessions, the poses are held for longer periods of time and I feel it really helps my body relax and increases my flexibility.

I started practising yoga everyday and that when I started the Yoga with Adriene 30 days challenge. I still have that print out calendar on my wall as a reminder of my passion for yoga. The first date of the challenge was on 15 January 2015. During that 30 days, no matter how tired or how late I reach home, I would make an effort to get on my yoga mat. Being on the yoga mat was the best time of the day for me.

After that, things got a little busy as I started school in April and I stopped practising yoga so frequently. I attended a BodyBalance class sometime last year and also picked up gyming. My yoga practise was then limited to only practising during my BodyBalance class once a week. I loved the class a lot, and mainly because of the yoga component within it. It always left me feeling really relaxed and refreshed.

After going for the BodyBalance class proved to be rather inconvenient for me, I had to stop. My life then focused solely on gyming. Lifting weights and having an occasional run here and there. I continued joining races to motivate myself to have practise runs as i excitedly prepare for the race day itself. Gyming was fun because I can see my body change. But somehow, I felt my life lacked in something and I knew instinctively that my body and mind is craving for some yoga practise.

I started then again on my own. Following Youtube videos at home but I wanted to learn more, to know whether I am doing my poses correctly and safely. And I made a decision to join a yoga class. It's a 1 hour session every week and I enjoyed every single lesson.

One day while I was scrolling through Instagram, I found out that a friend of my friend had recently acquired the yoga instructor certificate and it struck me. I can't stop thinking about it. About how I could continue my practise and maybe one day be a yoga instructor too. It would be like a dream come true and I am extremely positive that this is what I want to achieve.

So here I am adding another item into my bucket list.

Many of my friends have witnessed the passion I have for yoga and they have asked me to lead them in a simple yoga flow. And so I introduced to them the sun salutation. All of the really enjoyed the mini session I had for them and it was really the first time I had a taste of yoga leading a yoga class felt like. It was really nice looking at my friends go through the flow with me and enjoying every pose.

Yoga is not just another class to me. I feel that it has become part of my life, part of who I am. My body craves for the bends and stretches while my mind craves for the quietness in the meditation sessions like during savasana where it just sits quietly to observe the every thought that I might have. It is like an oasis in the middle of our hectic world. A place to just relax and observe.

And I would one day hopefully be able to spread this joy of yoga to others. Namaste.

Comments

Popular Posts