City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

A really big thank you to Cassandra Clare for writing such an awesome series! I started off with watching the movie on the big screens and I have grown to love it. So, I bought the book too!
Left: City of Bones novel   Right: City of Bones DVD
I've seen the movie a couple of times (about 4 times?!) and I think I'm going to watch it again soon :)

Reading the book after watching the movie several times allow me to match some of the scenes in the movie to the book although there are some changes as to the speaker of the lines. But overall, it's a really good movie that had stayed true to the book in great detail. As mentioned, I have watched the movie a couple of times. First looking at the story line, then the acting of the actors and actresses (maybe 2-3 times for this, with a different focus on different actors each time) and finally the background set. I am truly amazed by the great detail and effort the production team put in decorating the set. The set really creates and defines the mood of the movie which I think is an important part when engaging the audience. Of course there are other reasons as to what makes this movie a success (like the script and the awesome actors and actresses!). And so, to learn more about the background production, I bought their official illustrated movie companion too. I learnt quite a few things and also about the director's thinking process when trying to convey words from the books and on to the big screen. The movie companion was not written in great detail (although I would hope for more), but it is easy to understand for people like me who don't know much about the media industry and the technical terms they use there.

In summary, the books and movie are awesome. Great thanks to Cassandra Clare and the movie production team! Definitely looking forward to City of Ashes on the big screen (I've already read that book), especially on how the love story between Clary and Jace and Malec (Magnus and Alec) will turn out.

PS. For those who likes Malec like me, you can go to http://www.cassandraclare.com/my-writing/excerpts-extras/ to read about Magnus and Alec's first kiss!

Comments

Popular Posts